Five textbooks/material that CLP student should read

Gong Xi Fa Cai everyone!

This is a long overdue requested post
I got stuck with a busy schedule 
Please accept my sincere apology   

So, let's get it started

1. Janab series by Datuk Hamid Sultan Abu Backer



There is a common problem for most CLP textbooks - They ain't up-to-date
The Janab series is, as far as I can tell, the most updated textbooks you can possibly find in the book store

The author is, in my opinion, one of the best Court of Appeal judge, in the system 
Hence, the authority of these books is beyond explanation

While I personally find these books to be oversimplified
As my only motive to study textbooks is nothing to but study the subjects in depth
I nevertheless find these textbooks helpful in grasping the general idea and for quick reference

If you are having reading disorder or cannot-read-textbook-syndrome
and you are looking book(s) that can get you through the exam in the shortest time possible
Janab series is the best choice

2. Law of Evidence in Malaysia by Mariette Peters

Law of evidence is, in my opinion, the toughest paper in CLP exam
It is difficult to study/understand, and it is difficult to score the paper
notwithstanding that I have studied evidence in LLB and manage to get a good grade

Anyway, the English Evidence rules (the currently applicable one) and Malaysian Evidence rules are fairly different
You must definitely spend some time to figure it out
And this is the best and well-tailored textbook for CLP student

The latest version is, I suppose, the 2013 edition
(I heard it somewhere that Ms. Mariette is updating her book)
However Ms. Mariette will update her students all recent case law in class
(Kudos, she is the most hardworking lecturer in the faculty)
Please by all means get in touch with your ATC friends to see if you miss out any important update

My personal note is written with reference to the law before my CLP exam (July 2018)
I may upload it if anyone is interested

3. Criminal Procedure by Francis Ng Aik Guan
This is my favourite textbook.
Both academic and practical, very well-written Criminal Procedure textbook.

I was told that the author, who is an experienced defence counsel, is also very experienced in teaching CLP programme.
Thus, the textbooks bring your attention to all examinable cases.
By now I only come across a few number of pass year questions that isn't covered by this textbook.
Believe me, CLP examiner is creative.

The only thing I can complain is that this textbook is very outdated
If you are interested in knowing the A to Z of Criminal Procedure
You are advised to take this textbook as primary sources, as its principles are still good
but you must do some additional reading in order to familiarize yourself with the current law

4. Case law/Practice Direction/Bar Council Direction/etc

Please refer to my previous post.

Whenever your lecturer or the rules direct you to any cases/Practice Direction/Bar Council Direction
Please write it down in your 555 note book and look into it as soon as you can
The longer you procrastinate, the less likely you will actually give a damn to it

5. CLP syllabus on the LPQB website

This is getting advanced.
If you have studied everything you have (or the selective part of it, more likely the case)
Please do not miss out the CLP syllabus published by the LPQB itself

Given that there is no examiner report for pass year question
Please make use of the only piece of official document that might give you some hint

On the other hand, the CLP syllabus can serve as a checklist
For the day before each paper (the 'gap day' between two papers)
All I do is to quickly scan through all personal notes and CLP syllabus

There is nothing much you can do the day before the exam
You did your best and the top priority at that point of time is to go to bed earlier



---------------------- THE WALLY EFFECT http://thewallyeffect.blogspot.com/ ----------------------

That's about it !
Study material need to be sufficient but need not be adequate !

P.S: I am trying to be neutral and avoid discussing any textbooks that do not worth your penny and time
If you'd like to know my opinion on a particular textbook that I didn't mention in this post
I can be reached by any means mentioned in the CONTACT (at the top of the page)

Furthermore, I am not that hardworking to try out all the textbooks available in the market
So, feel free to share what books/material you are using/have used for the benefit of our junior !

---------------------- THE WALLY EFFECT http://thewallyeffect.blogspot.com/ ----------------------

Please read the disclaimer (at the top of the page) before proceeding.

Feel free to comment if you find any mistakes, or if you have anything to share. 


COPYRIGHTS © 2017 WALLACE LEE CHING YANG. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Wallace. Just wanted to confirm what you meant by the CLP syllabus on the LPQB website. I find no such thing there save for the past year questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bobby, you can download it via this link ya

      https://elpqb.agc.gov.my/CLP/main/login_subj_outline.php

      Delete
    2. hey wallace..good advice.thanks. anyway i used your link but it says i have no access. Do you have any idea how to go around it.

      Delete
    3. Hey Tyrone, I don't have access either as I have passed the exam. If you don't mind you can email me (wallaceleecy@gmail.com) to request for the old 2018 version.

      Delete
  2. Hi Wallace, where can i buy second hand 2019 CLP books please. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps, by asking your senior? From time to time I see passing candidate posting up advertisement to sell their used materials via social media, but I afraid that there is no universal platform for Malaysia CLP student at this point of time :(

      If you are studying in ATC or BAC, I'd suggest you to borrow it from the library.

      Delete
  3. It is very rare indeed to come across a blog like this! good read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks and that i have a tremendous proposal: Where Is Charlotte Church House Renovation best renovations to increase home value

    ReplyDelete